We get many questions about the most essential tools for bike maintenance, especially for fixed gear bikes. You can save a good amount of money if you can fix your bike yourself.
Below list of tools is approved and recommended by the Bike Ethics team:
- Allen Key Set
- I use both SAE/Imperial and Metric Allen Keys. I am primarily using Metric keys, but you never know when the SAE fits better.
- Tekton Ball End HEX Key Wrench Set, 9pcs.
- 15mm Wrench
- This is the essential tool to tighten your wheel axle bolts. I use this every week to make sure the bolts are tight.
- Chain Tool
- To install and uninstall your chains.
- Park Tool C-15 Mini Bicycle Chain Tool.
- Sprocket Remover/Chain Whip
- To install and uninstall cogs. I like to change my gear ratio regularly.
- I Park Tool SR 18.2.
- Lockring Wrench
- You need this if you want to change your cog.
- Park Tool HCW-17 Fixed-Gear Bicycle Lockring Wrench.
- Side Cutter Pliers
- Useful to cut your brake wires.
- Park Tool Side Cutter Pliers - SP-7.
- Crank Puller
- Tool to take off your crankset. I like to re-grease the noisy crankset once in a while.
- Park Tool CCP-22 Bicycle Crank Puller.
- Bottom Bracket Tool
- Park Tool BBT-22.
- Bicycle Tire Pump
- JoeBlow MaxHP.
- Chainring:Gear Ratio Calculator Phone Application
- This app helps you quickly calculate all necessary characteristics of your fixed-gear or single-speed bikes like a ratio, a number of skid patches, development, gear inches, and a recommended number of chain links.
- This is a free app.
Please note that I do not true my wheels. I do not have expensive trueing equipment, and I prefer to let the local bike shop handle that part for me. I doubt that I could do as good a job as the professionals can.
Did I miss any essential tools? Feel free to comment below.